Diagnosed with PCOS. Having regular periods and normal thyroid result. Is it safe to conceive?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Question: HI, I was diagnosed with PCOS but menses are regular but my bleeding reduced. my throid report , serum insulin, DHEA -s , serum testorone reports are normal. Will this impact fertility? I am 32 yrs old and recently got married and want to conceive. I went to gynae and she suggested to take ginette 35, Ovaflo and Cycloset syrup. Please suggest me how serious is my PCOS problem. and can this be treated permanently
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
PCOS is usually associated with hormonal disturbances which are responsible for difficulty in conception. Since all your hormone levels are within normal limits, you are not likely to have any problem in conception. Please do follow your gynecologist's instructions for an early conception.
The chances of normal ovulation is less from a polycystic ovary. But after adequate treatment a successful ovulation and normal pregnancies have been seen even in bilateral polycystic ovaries.
Try to lose weight and keep yourself fit with a healthy diet and daily exercise.
Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry. You should not have any problem in conception or child bearing.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks doctor for coming back. Could you please suggest what diet is suitable to get a faster recovery in this case and currently I am doing exercise on treadmill for 40-45 min. Please suggest me some means to reduce weight. Though I try harder I hardly reduce any weight. My height is 5 feet 2 inches and my weight ranges from 64-67 from past 3-4 years but never goes down below 64 :( . Is this because of PCOS problem. I wasn't aware of this problem till I visited my skin doctor , my underarms are just becoming dark and darker day by day. Is this any remedy to get rid of it. Skin doctor prescribed chemical peeling but I don't think that is a permanent solution for it. Please help me out
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Being overweight is one of the causes of PCOD.
Balance low GI carbohydrates with adequate protein.
Include phytoestrogens in your diet.
Buy organic foods whenever possible.
Reduce your intake of saturated fats.
Limit or avoid dairy.
Drink two litres of filtered water daily.
Avoid additives, preservatives and food chemicals such as artificial sweeteners.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
Avoid sugar on its own and hidden in foods.
Include essential fatty acids in your diet.
You can get a suitable diet plan charted for you from your dietitian.
The dark underarms can be taken care of by chemical peel and laser therapy for a long term.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.