Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with PCOD. Missed periods. Prescribed Meprate and ovral. Suggestions

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
My wife aged 34 yrs had her last period on 15th Sep. On 1st Nov we visited doctor for missed period and they did blood test and scan and diagnised with PCOD. Tablet- MEPRATE was given for 5 days. Still did not get her periods still. Yesterday we visited doctor again and they gave OVRAL tablets for next 21 days. All pregnancy test were negative. Need your second option whether to continue with OVRAL or any other treatment can be suggested? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. I have reviewed attach reports and all parameters are normal except bilateral Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) which can delay her normal period beside pregnancy. For PCOD, she needs to follow a key treatment protocol. This is as follows: a) Low carbohydrate diet (avoid fatty or sugary beverage) with more green vegetables. b) Regular moderate to heavy physical exercise by means of running/ jogging/ treadmill/ walking to reduce body weight. c) Hormonal medication like combined birth control pill (OVRAL) for continuous 21 days with 7 days gap to regularize monthly period. d) Avoid mental stress by regular yoga or meditation for 15 to 30 min. Take adequate bed rest or sound sleep. e) Insulin sensitiser drug like METFORMIN to trigger ovulation and prevent type 2 Diabetes (given in some cases). In my opinion, she can start to take OVRAL medicine to induce period and later METFORMIN can be added if she doesn't get regular period. Hope, above information is helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any further clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor