Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with Osteochondroma. Lump protruding from leg. Hurting. Surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
About 4 months ago, my 15 year old son was diagnosed with 'osteochondroma' if I'm spelling it right; it is on the outside of his right leg, above the knee cap. It's about 3" around, I can't tell from the x XXXXXXX total size, but basing size on the lump protruding from his leg. It wasn't bothering him until recently, and particularly when he walks for extended periods of time. I'm not sure if he should have surgery now or if we should wait, given that it WASN"T bothering him when we went in, but I didn't know what it was and went in to an orthopedic md. My son still seems to be growing, and the doctor told us it wasn't on the joint of his knee cap, so that was relevant for reasons I don't remember now; but I'm not sure if we should have surgery ASAP or wait until he's older... but because it's hurting him, I'm concerned. I appreciate any insight you have.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Osteochondroma is a benign tumor. If there are no symptoms or problems and if they are small in size then they can be left alone and just monitored with X XXXXXXX taken at regular interval.

But now you are saying that it is around 3 inches and it is also symptomatic and causing problem to your child. So if there is pain (which could be because of various reasons) it is better to get your child operated. So please consult your doctor for the same.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Take care.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatric
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor