Diagnosed with Optic Neuritis. Done MRI of brain and spinal tap. What are the findings?
I am trying to understand my MRI findings...I had an MRI Brain with & with our IV contrast inclusding postcontrast imaging through the orbits. Below this it says:
Single punctate focus of FLAIR hyperintensity in right frontal white matter of nonspecific etiology. No other intracranial abnormalties. No abnormal signal or enhancement involving the optic nerves.
You have non specific findings. Don't worry at all.
Your MRI report suggests
1.Single punctate focus of FLAIR hyper intensity in right frontal white matter of nonspecific etiology
FLAIR( Fluid attenuated inversion recovery) is a type of signal used in MRI.
This is among other signals like T1,T2 etc used in MRI.
These different types of signals are used to distinguish lesions from normal brain tissues.
FLAIR technique is used to suppress hyper intense(bright) signals produced by fluids like water and C.S.F in brain.
This technique is used when lesions are around ventricles that contain C.S.F.
FLAIR hyper intensity is normally seen in aged brain.
You have single punctate focus of FLAIR hyper intensity in white matter of right frontal region. It is nonspecific and you can ignore this. PRESENCE OF THREE OR MORE HYPERINTENSE SIGNALS ARE SIGNIFICANT AND THESE CASES NEED FURTHER EVALUATION.
2.Other findings in brain is normal.
3. No abnormal signal or enhancement involving the optic nerves.
Abnormal signals on MRI of the optic nerve due to optic neuritis depends on severity of initial visual loss and recovery.
I think, probably you have recovered form disease and hence it is not showing any enhancement.So,it is very healthy condition.
Hope you have understand the terms.
Further queries are most welcome.
Get well soon.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Empty sella and optic neuritis
- Optic neuritis and brain lesions
- Demyelinating optic neuritis
- Ethambutol optic neuritis
- How is optic neuritis diagnosed
- Optic neuritis dizziness
- What is the treatment for multiple sclerosis and optic neuritis
- Bilateral optic neuritis causes
- Prednisone and optic neuritis
- Optic neuritis compter sickness
- Have had neurologic symptoms of unknown origin. Was smoker. Chest x-ray...
- What is flair hyperintensity with prominence of sulci, parenchymal...
- Done with MRI of pelvis. What are the findings from the report? Is there...
- Skin on penis did not reverse after several intercourses. Feeling pain...
- Getting tingling and cramping sensation in hand, tightness in chest and...
- Incision got infected after surgery. CAT scan shows abscesses in that...
- Suffering from high BP, numbness and tingling feeling in one part of...
- Diagnosed with Optic Neuritis. Done MRI of brain and spinal tap. What...
- Information whether Salamonella Typhi O antigen 1:80 and H antigen...
- What is small isoechoic lesion in GB neck region?