Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with HSV1 on genitals and had painful sores. What is the treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
hello, i was recently diagnosed with HSV1 on my genitals.. i had 3 small lesions the my Dr tested with a swab. he also did a blood test. the blood test came back negative, the swab came back positive for HSV1.. I have 2 questions regarding this. 1) the lesions i had did not have any of the characteristics i have researched of herpes ( blister or scabbing)... they were just painful sores that went away after about a week and a half. is this a common type of outbreak? 2) since the blood work came back negative does this mean i recently contracted the virus ( trying to determine if its from my current partner).. thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer: mild outbreak Detailed Answer: Hello HSV 1 is usually caused by oral transmission . Genital herpes can be caused by hsv 1 though oral herpes is more common . To answer your question you may have had a a mild outbreak hence leaving painful sores. Not typically blisters . First outbreaks may be mild and sometimes the person doesn't even have any symptoms . However if the swab is positive then the blood test should be positive . Only if the viral load is very low the test may show negative . Usually DNA PCR test is most accurate . It takes several days for the result . Presence of antibodies in the blood test will indicate if this is a recent infection or not.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor