Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with HSV 2. Get occasional outbreaks. Medicines to reduce them?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
Hi, I have questions about HSV 2. I had a few outbreaks during 2010, so I had lab work completed in 2010 which showed I have HSV2. I'm still occasionally having outbreaks and would like to get the meds to help reduce outbreaks. Can I provide the lab work and get a prescription for Valtrex immediately from you online?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

HSV2 is a common viral infection. There is no doubt that some patients are affected more than others in terms of frequency of outbreaks. It is completely acceptable to have a patient on a suppressive dose of 500mg once per day for suppression of these frequent outbreaks. It sounds like you are a candidate for such therapy.

On this site, we cannot give out prescriptions. You can easily get a prescription from a clinic such as a Planned Parenthood or even from a Nurse Practitioner (they will be back in Walgreens locations soon). I would consider either of these options if you have no insurance or have no access to a Primary doctor. The final option would be to go to an Urgent Care setting with your next outbreak and ask them for the script for the acute infection as well as one for suppressive therapy.

I hope that this helps and I am sorry that we cannot give out prescriptions online.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor