Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with H pylori. Severe acid reflux, pain in the back and chest. Taking antibiotics and omeprazole. Is this due to aneurysm?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10463 Questions
I have just been diagnosed with H.pylori and have been suffering severe acid reflux and long term pain in back and chest (i thought i was having a heart attack last week-end - I am female and 59)..tenderness too in the upper left quadrant. i have just been prescribed two antibiotics and omeprazole and told by GP that i may feel sick and unwell. My eldest son was recently diagnosed with a haitus hernia and had the same symptons as me (he didn't have H.pylori) so is it possible that Itoo have this because i find it hard to believe that this very common bacteria is alone in causing such bad pain in my back/chest. Prior to this recent diagnosis I had not associated the back pain with the acid reflux and my appointment with the GP was only for the pain (you cannot discuss more than one disorder at any one appointmant) in my back so was surprised whhen she suggested it could be my oesophogus that was causing you agree? I had been thinking that i might have an aneurism although i did not mention this to her. thankyou.. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your symptoms could be related to hiatus hernia but an aneurysm is a less likely possibility.
Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
Consulting a gastroenterologist will help in confirming the diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor