Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with Cervical Bulge. Get pain upper back. Resume light weight lifting and cardio. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2554 Questions
I was diagnosed with Cervical Bulge on C3/C4 dics. I had rested for about year and half and then resume light weight lifting and cardio. I stopped for a year and now resumed work out 2 months back. I get pain on my upper back, which is mainly due to the bulge and weak back muscle I presume. I dont do any weight lifting that directly put pressure on my neck, such as shoulder press with dubmbell. Please advise. Thanks
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

I went through the details provided with diligence. I understand your pain; spine disc bulges can cause disturbing symptoms. There are various forms of treatment. It depends on the severity of pain and the response you get to the treatment. Though surgical treatment gives the best symptom relief, other conservative approaches such as physiotherapy, pain killers, and intrathecal steroids are tried before putting you under the knife.

In these circumstances, I think the first modality to confirm whether the upper back pain and muscle weakness is directly related to the disc bulge. Upper back pain with weakness may be due to other causes such as muscle strain. If proved to be related to disc bulge, you need to excise more caution. Wear neck collars, consult a physiotherapist, and opt for medical therapy - occasional pain killers / regular numbing medications such as gabapentin / amitriptyline. You may also consider repeating MRI scans to see the recent status of bulged disc.

A qualified spine surgeon or a neurosurgeon will know about this approach of treatment. You may visit them to initiate the treatment.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor