• question-icon

Diagnosed with Bilateral breast lumps. Is surgery needed?

Posted on Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Cancer
Question: I had posted this question earlier.
-------------
This query is for my wife. She is expected to undergo surgery on Saturday. I wanted to have a second opinion on her ailment and whether surgery indeed is the right option.

She has been diagnosed with "Bilateral breast lumps since February 2007".
k/c/o - Bilateral breast fibroadenomas. Negative for malignant cells.

I will try and attach detailed reports. Kindly respond back by Friday as the surgery is scheduled for Saturday morning.
----------------------

And Dr. Indranil XXXXXXX had examined the reports and made the following recommendations

--------------

Hi

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through all the reports of your wife. All the USG are showing well-defined rounded lesions suggestive of fibroadenoma. Considering her age, this is the most probable diagnosis. But some of the lesions have significantly increased in size; one in the right breast is 5 cm now. Though FNAC is suggestive of fibrocystic disease only, because of the size increase, we need a definitive diagnosis.

This can be achieved by lumpectomy (surgery). If the report is benign (non-cancerous), we can just continue following her up.

Overall I feel you are on the right track.
Best wishes.
-----------------------------

The surgery is now completed and the lab reports have come. I would like Dr. Indranil to review the reports as well. The reports are good. But I would like to have a second opinion.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Dear Shafeeque,

Thanks for following up.

The biopsy report is fibroadenoma, which is a benign condition. She can be just followed up, may be every 6 months to 12 months.

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist