Diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation. Hearing became muffled and feeling dizzy and nauseous. What can be the cause?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Hello Doctor...I am a 65 year old man. In January of 2012 I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation as well as cardiomyopathy. My ejection fraction at the time was 33. The Afib is being controlled my meds and 3 months ago my cardiologist said my ejection fraction has improved to 50. My next visit to him is in 3 months.
Yesterday at 3:30 PM I was relaxed and reading something when all of a sudden I couldn't focus on what I was reading. My hearing became muffled with a high pitched tone and I became confused. I started getting dizzy and started feeling nauseous. I had no chest pain or any pain in my limbs or any part of my body. I immediately moved to lay on the floor and started perspiring badly. I just laid on the floor for about 25 minutes before the sweating stopped and I felt well enough to get up and lay on the sofa. My friend was here and when this first happened she took my blood pressure while I was on the floor and it was 165/105, at 4:25 PM 143/95, at 4:38 PM 138/90 and finally at 8:30 PM 125/87. I am feeling much better today. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need further assessment

Detailed Answer:

Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The changes in pressure are a reaction to the situation and need no concern...
     The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see - they have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear.
     If the ear is excluded, you have to see a neurologist – transient ischemia could have been responsible. / MRI may be needed. MRA (MRI angiography) shows blood vessels and is generally done at the same sitting.
     If there are no clues, see your Cardiologist again! - HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring – for arrhythmia) / LABORATORY work-up for electrolytes – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance.

Wishing all well
God bless
Good luck