Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondilatis. What is the treatment for this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
I was recently diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondilatis, What is the treatment for this?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the problem its like you have been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis . There are no specific guidelines and the treatment is tailored according to the need of the patient . The joints and damage to spine which has already occured cannot be reversed but further damage and symptomatic pain relief with easing of stiffness of back can be done .

Sulphasalazine , Methotrexate are the drugs that are generally used for this disease . Pain can be controlled by antiinflammatory drugs like etoricoxib , ibuprofen etc.

Regular physiotherapy is highly recommended and contributes to resolution of symptoms as great as the drugs .

Other group of drugs are biological agents like infliximab which are the best drugs but are quite costly as repeated dosing is necessary . As you are 72 years of age any drugs will be given according to the comorbidities present .

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor