• question-icon

Diagnosed ocular myasthenia gravis. Help?

Posted on Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: diagnosis is ocular myasthenia gravis. Has had it for almost 2 years now and no one seems to be able to help. He is seeing a neurologist here in Traverse City and he know very little about it. We have not been able to find anyone who is familiar with this condition.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Ocular myasthenia gravis is the mildest form of myasthenia gravis (MG). MG is an auto immune disease, and the source of antibodies is the thymus gland located underneath the sternum bone.

Symptomatic treatment is with pyridostigmine tablets.

Other evaluations would include CT scan of chest to look for thymic abnormalities and a blood test for anti acetylcholine receptor antibodies.

In most cases, immunotherapy with steroids, azathioprine, or some other drugs is also needed.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later
We want to thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your information. We have forwarded to our neurologist here and are waiting for a reply from him.
XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you and best wishes, please keep me informed of the progress.
I would be pleased to be of help in future too!

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist