Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed asthma involved with COPD and anxiety disorder. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
My GP Dr. said to me" you may have a little asthma involved with your COPD and anxiety disorder. My question to you is how would you start analyzing that and a treatment suitible for a potential problem with asthma. A spirectomy was performed and I was well below the norm. I do believe this is because of the COPD. I have smoked for 48 years and have cut down drastically but not quit completely yet.
Please tell me how you would proceed if you suspected mild asthma may have started.

Merck said in their website that dulera should only be prescribed to people that have not been successful on varing doses of corticosteroids and those who suffer from moderately high to severe asthma. My Dr. started with dulera and I stopped using it due to the side effects I experienced.
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

You mentioned that you have smoked for 48 years which has affected your lungs and caused COPD. You can have acute exacerbations which resembles asthma which your GP is referring as "little asthma". I would suggest that you get a pulmonary function test done which shall give a correct status of your lung function.

Bronchodilator medications are the drug of choice and the newer anti-asthmatic medicines are best in acute bronchial asthma rather than COPD. It shall be advisable to discuss your pulmonary function test with your treating physician preferably a pulmonologist and start on long acting bronchodilators.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor