Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed 2nd grade fatty liver. Continue to drink. Medicines? Suitable diet?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
I am 34 year old. I had taken a master health check up few months back. I am told i am have 2nd grade fatty liver. I consume alcohol daily for many years now and am still continuing about 3 pegs a day ( 60 ml - Large).
Please let me know if there are ny medicines to rectify the liver damage and suitable diet to tackle this. THanks you.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 6 minutes later
Thank you for contacting XXXXXXX with your question. First of all you
admit to drinking alcohol daily for many years. You are only 34 years
young and I think now is the time for you to turn thing around.
You mention grade-2 fatty liver which is some what advanced stage.
If you do not change your habits , this will progress to further damage
and eventually cirrhosis of the liver, bleeding , coma , and death. There
is a possibility of liver cancer as well.
At this stage, your liver can come back to normal.
Here is what you have to do. Stop all alcohol , cold XXXXXXX If you need
help from a health professional please get it. Second , you must follow
a low fat diet, avoid greasy, fried foods. You need good protein diet.
Whole grains , wheat , legumes , nuts , fruits and vegetables are good.
I want you to take a super B-Complex vitamin tablet daily, Vitamin-C
1000 mg. daily and Vitamin-E 800 i.u. daily.
If you can get a protein drink supplement , take it twice a day.
You should also work on quitting smoking , even though this has no direct
effect on the liver.
I want you to get a complete set of blood tests including liver , kidney ,
thyroid , lipids , blood sugar , HbA1C , Protein levels, blood count etc.
If your liver enzymes are elevated , you have to be extra careful and
do all thee things I mention above right away before it gets worse.
I hope that I have convinced you enough so that you can lead a healthy
I want to let you know , after about six months , get a repeat scan and
see if there is improvement.
I wish you the very best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed 2nd grade fatty liver. Continue to drink. Medicines? Suitable diet? 1 minute later
Thank you so much for the detailed advice. I know I am doing something wrong with my habits and hence the concern i had to consult. I will change my diet as suggested by you. But completely stopping Alcohol is something that I cannot think of atleast in the near future. Is it okay if I reduce my consumption to say 2 drinks per day followed by good Diet and medicenes. I know of many people including my father who have been consuming alcohol daily for over 30 years and have lived healthily upto the age of 78. Does this mean proper food can compensate the liver function. Please dont mistake me for asking this question. I am only looking to have relaxed life after work hours and at the same time not harming the health. Please also advise if Liv 52 DS or Livorus tablet is better for Liver. Thank you once again.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
I know how hard it is to fight the alcohol addiction.
But you really have to try. It is O.K. to start cutting back
like you say . Since you already have fatty liver (Grade-2) ,
I am really concerned about the damage to the liver.
Some people can tolerate the modest amounts of alcohol.
Others cannot. Unfortunately you are one of those.
Certainly follow the diet and proper exercises.
Liv 52 DS is O.K. to take along with the other vitamins I
have suggested.
I wish you the very best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor