Diabetologist Can I split (500 mg ) of Glycomet plain

Excellent

Diabetologist
Question
Diabetologist
Can I split (500 mg ) of Glycomet plain into three doses like 250 mg after breakfast , 250 mg after lunch and 500 mg after dinner - instead of taking 500 mg twice a day i. e 500 mg after breakfast and 500 mg after dinner? Why I am asking this is - i do not know whether it is correct or not , but sometimes i feel that my glucose level 2 hrs after breakfast is coming low and feel week. I am taking 500 mg twice a day since 2 years .I had Type II diabetes in 2012. i am 75 year old male. Does pancreas accepts this change in the dose or will it reject and increase my fastng and pp levels drastically? I have once asked my physician about taking glycomet SR 500 mg twice.He said it is not necessary.Do you suggest glycomet 500 mg plain or 500 mg SR or 500 mg ER. OR will you suggest glymeperide (or some other medicine also along with glycomet after breakfast. What is the safe level in random test ? What are the correct and safe Fasting and PP levels for Diabetics of my age? Apart from this medicine i take betacard, amtas, ismo , Deplatt cv, Thyronorm,urimax also .My readings relating to Hypertension, iabetes,Hypothyroid,Bph all are under control. My Fasting level now is 122 and pp is 148. My HbA 1 c is 6.5. Kindly advise sir.
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
One can split Metformin doses.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

Metformin is a first line drug in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes.
Metformin decreases insulin resistance it means it decreases insulin requirement of body. It do not have direct effect on pancreas & secretion of insulin.
Metformin when used alone very rarely cause low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia).

Considering your Fasting, Post-prandial & HbA1c level your blood sugar level control is absolutely within acceptable range.

For your age I may suggest
- Fasting blood sugar level should be 90 to 130 &
- Postprandial blood sugar level should be 100 to 180.

There will be no harm in splitting dose of Metformin (plain tablet) as you have mentioned.
Metformin 250mg tablet is also available in market.

Metformin SR or ER formulation has slow release & absorption over a longer duration of time and has less side effects in terms of stomach upset, metalic taste as compared to plain formulation.
Breaking SR or ER formulation tablet cause loss of slow release action and act as plain formulation.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Follow-up: Diabetologist Can I split (500 mg ) of Glycomet plain 1 hour later
Doctor,
As a diabetologist if i were be your patient, t, which medicine do you prescribe. Is it
Glycomet plain or Glycomet sr or Glycomet ER.For me which is preferable.Kindly advise

Brief Answer:
I may continue Metformin plain.

Detailed Answer:
In my day to day practice I usually start my patients on Sr or ER formulations.
But patient already on plain formulations and tolerating well there is no indication to change. So I may continue plain formulation.

Hope this helps.