Diabetic with upset stomach. Suggest diet plan to digest easily

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Question: Hi My mother has diabetes. recently she had a severe stomach upset.
can u recommend a diet which is easy to digest and would not upset her sugar levels

Also, is it a must to eat immediately after having a insulin shot. or can she eat after 15-20 mins

thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
For a person with diabetes getting stomach upset has many reasons. If the person has diabetes for more than 10 years then diabetes itself is a reason for stomach upset.
In your mother's case, the diet should NOT contain milk, coffee, tea, spices, fried items, non vegetarian proteins coming from meat, egg, fruit juices and artificial fruit drinks, food items containing artificial flavors and preservatives.
Her diet should contain soft cereals like chapati, soft rice, buttermilk, curd for few days, after a week or so she can have vegetables cooked with salt and turmeric powder and very little vegetable oil with rice. If you are worried about rice, please do not as about one bowl of rice is equivalent to one chapati and it will not disturb her sugars when she eats equivalent amounts. I hope she is taking antacids prescribed by her doctor.

If your mother is on injection mixtard or combination of atrapid and insulatard then it is must for her to keep gap of 30 mins between injection prick and food intake. But if she is on injection novo mix or humalog mix then she should consume food immediately after injection.

I hope I have answered your queries. Please get back to me for any related query.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 28 minutes later
Hi Doctor XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.
I was really surprised when you mentioned rice was acceptable.
because we had been giving her rice water (congee). However i was very concerned about it
Is there any special variety of rice (basmati) which is acceptable or any rice can be given to her.

Thanks again
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 15 hours later
Unpolished rice is best. It can be of any type like basamati, kolam. It looks crude and brown. In case it is not available then try to restrict her rice intake to 150 gm, I.e cooked rice, in place of two chapati of about eight inch diameter. If polished rice is available then two hundred g of cooked rice makes equivalent sugar. Adding vegetables to rice while cooking itself will make it palatable and will add to volume.
Also please make sure that your mother eats small small meals and keeps her stomach half filled always.
Please keep monitoring her sugars during diet changes as in my experience some patients overdo eating and complain that the diet didn't work. Please go slow.
Get back for any related query. I hope this answer helps her.