Diabetic with hep c and hypothyroid. Why am I tested positive for THC while I don't smoke it?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Drug Abuse
Question: I am a black female with hep c and a diabetic tested postive for thc and I don't eat or smoke thc and have a thyroid hypo
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

From what I understand you have been tested positive of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) though you do not smoke or consume marijuana / cannabis in any form.

Hepatitis c/a infection, diabetes or hypothyrodism is not known to cause positive THC results. However few medical drugs such as commonly used Ibuprofen, other NSAID group of drugs, proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole, antiemetic like dronabinol and passive smoke exposure can cause false positive reports. I am not sure if any such exposure in your recent past has resulted in failing the drug test.

You may report to the authorities if you had used such medications.

I am not sure if the laws of your country allows for repeat testing to prove innocence; if yes then you may choose to do a second test from a different institute to contradict the first report.

I hope I have read your concerns right. Let me know if I am wrong / you have any other concerns.