Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Diabetic, want to do cataract surgery. Need information about insulin pump

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I am diabetic and am need of cataract surgery. My A1C is 11.4 and so they cannot do the surgery until it is down. My doctor is not helpful to me. I want to know what to do to lower my level and want to know about an insulin pump.
I want to know if a pump is what I may need and what goes along with that. Any side effects or problems. How long would it take to lower my A1C if I work on it with everything I have got. I am so bad with my eyes that I am not comfortable driving.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 45 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
Your HbA1c value is sky high and it shows that you are having dangerously poor blood sugar control atlas in the previous 3 months.
Such uncontrolled diabetes is a silent killer, it does not give much symptoms but is destroys the kidneys, eyes and nervous system known collectively as Triopathy.
Blood sugar should be controlled with lifestyle modification that is rational eating, moderate regular exercises and insulin/hypogycemic drugs.
The treatment of diabetes needs to be carried out in physician supervision.
If you can pursue a regular schedule then one week of treatment is sufficient for control of blood sugar.
HbA1c takes atleast 2months to come to normal, but is is a marker only and you do not need it to be normal but must have satisfactory levels of blood sugar in 7 days.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diabetic, want to do cataract surgery. Need information about insulin pump 8 hours later
Thank you so much!!
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.
All the best!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor