Diabetic type 2 patient. Can I take setride plus for cold and fever?

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Question: Good morning, Can a chronic Diabetic (Type 2) be administered with Setride Plus, for cold (caused due to allergy towards chilled beverages) and mild fever ? Does it have any side effects especially on Nervous system or Kidneys ?

PS: I'm a layman, please excuse any lack of knowledge in medicines
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Safe in schedule dosage for a small duration

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Setride plus, if taken in schedule dosage for a small duration does not have any significant side effect on kidneys & nervous system.
But, the body perceives cold & fever as a stressful situation.
So, the anti diabetic medications need to be taken regularly with it to keep the blood sugar level in control.

However, if symptoms continue even after 3-4 days, kindly consult your General Physician for a proper clinical examination & get a complete blood count done.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.
Till then, maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition and avoid stress.
Wishing you a good health.
Follow up: Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 3 hours later
Thank you doctor! It's actually for my dad. I was a bit concerned. He did take the tablet on a twelve hourly dose for three days and is doing fine now. He also said that the itching sensation on his skin also subsided due to this (he is already under a different medication prescribed by a dermatologist).
Does this Setride plus have something which reduces itch as well ?
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for your follow up query.

Setride has cetrizine which is an anti histamine preparation. It reduces the symptoms of allergy by acting at the receptor level.
As itching sensation is mostly caused due to allergy, intake of setride has provided relief from the symptoms.

Wishing your father a Good Health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.