Diabetic patient. How to lose weight?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: DEAR SIR,

i am daibetic/bp patient , taking medicine regularly my present weight 78 kg age 56
i want loose more weight fit for my age i am doing daily walking half an hour no other excercise doing at present . kindly advice how to loose weight
thanks
XXXX
ranbaxy mumbai
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A diet plan for 1400 to 1600Kcal per day

Detailed Answer:

I understand your problem. I appreciate your compliance of medication and keep all the values under control.

My best suggestion would be to take diet plan from a diet expert for 1600 Kcal per day and stick to it. If you do not work on a weekend and do not intend to go out on those days you can reduce the calorie consumption to 1000 to 1200Kcal as well. But if you go out and work on the weekend (Sat & Sun) stick to 1600Kcal. You can XXXXXXX a local dietitian for this or post it 'Ask A Dietitian'.

A nutritious and yet low calorie diet can do miracles. If you can set a target of 70 kg and achieve it you should be happy in terms of health benefits that you receive.

Hope this answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli