Diabetic and suffering from cough. Diagnosed with tuberclosis. Advice some treatment?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: my wife is diabetic and she is suffering from cough for last 3 months and is diagnosed tuberclosis.
she is 64 years of age.
Kindly advise treatment. Is it curable at this age
collapse and consolidation is seen in right middle lobe lateral segnebt and right lower lobe apical and anterior basal segments. The leison is seen as slidified lung parenchyma with air bonchogram and a small cavitation. Multiple peripheral acinar nodules coalescing to form larger nodules and increased reticulations are also seen in the region. Volume of the affected lung is not increased.
Elsewere both the lung fields are within normal limits. No pneumantics or atelectactic lung tissue is recognised. Broncho-vscular markings are prominent.
Significant broncho-pulmonary lymphadenopathy is seen on either side, more on right side. No impingement of right main lobar bronchii are seen.
No significant sized anterior or superior mediastinal lymphadenopathy is seen. No paratracheal group of lymphnodes is seen.
Trachea is within normal limits.
Anterior and superior mediastinal vessels are seen normally. Mediastinal fascial planes are preserved.
Cardiac shadow is normal. No peri-cardial effusion is seen.
Both the pleural is seen normally.
Posterior mediastinum is seen normally.
Bony Thoracic cage is normal.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
In a diabetic, chronic infections like tuberculosis are difficult to treat but are not impossible. She needs a careful clinical monitoring after starting with the anti tubercular therapy.
TB is curable with drugs. She needs to complete the treatment without missing any doses of medicines. After she completes the treatment and the infection is cleared then there is nothing to worry.
You can get the necessary treatment prescribed from her physician after the assessment of her general condition.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.