Diabetic and have heart problems. Should I go for nuclear perfusion or angiogram?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm diabetic and currently in hospital with heart problems. I have a choice to make between nuclear perfusion and angiogram and am getting basically two diffferent stories. Does a creatinine level of 2.95 put me at substantial risk of permanent as opposed to temporary dialysis
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The risk of worsening renal function from the contrast used during angiogram is real and high.
Even otherwise renal function may worsen with time...

Nuclear perfusion shows the physiology (function). A negative scan practically negates the chance of ischemia and angio may not be necessary. If positive, you will still need angio – practically, you end up doing both! - but worth it in view of safety.!

Angio is the gold standard to see the anatomy.
(CT scan is non-invasive and is done at times.)
However angio will be necessary – if intervention is needed / if the other test shows ischemia.

Go for nuclear perfusion as a first step. Angio may be delayed or avoided.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck