Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Diabetic and had eye laser surgery. Very high BP, kidney trouble. How to overcome this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4812 Questions
My son 47 has diabetes since age 3, had eye laser surgery twice, very high blood pressure, kidney trouble , spells where he can't think, staggers, confused, blood sugar too high, he's been in my home 2 years and been to 4 dr. many many times No one has really helped as much as they try. Maybe he needs palliative care, I am not sure what or who ... in Abilene XXXXXXX Needing help, The Mother, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

The medical attention your son needs is very very specific. Please understand that all the health problems he is experiencing are due to his type 1 diabetes, especially when it is not well controlled.

There comes a moment when all the body organs fail to function normally due to impaired glucose balance and many other health problems arise as in the case of your son.

He needs multiple directions help to assist all the body organs' function. However, the very best thing to do is to maintain his blood sugar levels (BSL) within the normal range. Or at least, you should get a target for his BSL with his doctor.

Now, understand that his eyes problems, his high blood pressure, kidney troubles and everything he is experiencing is related to uncontrolled diabetes.

Do not worry, you are a mother caring for her son, but must also realize that although you can help him as much as you can, you cannot do a miracle for him.

You can talk to his GP or ask for a nurse to assist you with your son in the most appropriate way. It includes designing the right diet menu for your son, scheduling his physical activity and adjusting the drugs dosage according to blood sugar levels and blood pressure.

Hope it helped giving you ideas on how to assist your son!

All the best to you and your son!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor