Diabetic and alzheimers. Undergone bypass and angioplasty. Is the hiccups due to electrolyte imbalance?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi, my father has got diabetes and had undergone bypass and angioplasty.. he had alzheimers too.. little kidney issue and sometimes NA, K also drops... actually now he is sort of ok. But, having continuous hiccups. In the past also he has had this prob.. we sometimes used to give him glucose.. it may be happening either due to dipping of sugar levels or electrolyte levels.. I have got domstal medicine now for him.. will that work ? Should we also give him one glass of glucose water ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

As you suspected, the commonest cause of hiccups is electrolyte imbalance, especially low sodium. In his case, low sodium can be due to either his poor food intake or medications for BP or kidney problems.

In addition to correcting the underlying cause, medications that are helpful in controlling hiccups are domperidone, chlorpromazine and baclofen.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your response. As a matter of fact, my father had undergone angioplasty at Apollo Banjara hills by Dr PC Rath. Neuro specialist was Dr Vemulla XXXXXXX

Thought would inform you.

By the way, can we give him salt water as well ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later

Thank you for getting back. Both Dr Rath and Dr XXXXXXX are my colleagues. I have been working at that place since 2004.

You can give your father salt water for now. However, need to be careful, as we need to restrict salt for patients with hypertension, heart and kidney diseases.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)