Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Diabetic. On insulin. Recent USG showed fatty liver & enlarged spleen. What medicines should I take?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
I am 54 years old female. Weight 80 Kg, diabetic on insulin for the last 7 years. My recent USG showed mildly fatty liver & enlarged spleen. What medicine can I take ?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

There is no specific medication in fatty liver and enlarged spleen.

The medication and management depends on the cause of fatty liver and enlarged spleen.

Fatty liver and enlarged spleen are findings on ultrasound abdomen.

There are many reasons for fatty liver such as obesity, viral hepatitis, alcohol consumption, and nonalcoholic liver disease which is seen in middle aged and overweight and in people with high cholesterol and triglycerides.

Diabetes is also prone for the development of fatty liver.

Spleen is enlarged in many conditions like infections like malaria, typhoid, and viral, infiltrated diseases, previous viral infections such as infectious mononucleosis.

Further investigations may be required if these findings are thought significantly abnormal by your physician.

For fatty liver, the following measures to be taken:

1.If you are alcoholic, quit the habit of drinking alcohol.

2.If you are overweight, try to reduce your weight.

3.Keep the blood sugar controlled with adequate insulin treatment and regular
follow ups.

And consult your physician for further evaluation to look for the causes of fatty liver and enlarged spleen.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor