Diabetic. On azithral 500 mg for throat infection. Is it safe to give azithromycin?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, my mother, age 68 has a throat infection, and I have started Azithral 500 mg today morning. She is diabetic so wanted to be sure if my self medication is not going to have any issues. She has taken Erothromycin earlier several times, so no reaction. I like Azithral due to its quick action in throat infection cases. Is it Okay?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 45 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, there is no problem in giving azithromycin to her in a simple throat infection. It is not going to have any issues. But the medicine should be continued for 3 to 5 days, depending upon the severity. Do not stop the drug abruptly on second day. That will lead to development of resistance. So, it would better to visit a doctor for a clinical examination for assessment of severity .

Along with this drug, you should give her a pantoprazole group of drug in morning in empty stomach. Give her a multivitamin agent for one month.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.