Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Diabetic. Noticed swelling on wrist and ankle. Suspected for muscle inflammation. Medical cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
Hello Dr Bhatti, my name is XXXXXXX and I want to ask some questions about my dads swollen arm. Three weeks ago his wrist became swollen he went to the clinic and they said a muscle inflammation it will pass in the next few days. After few days the swelling was gone and he was fine. Past two weeks the selling has come and gone but didn't seem to be that bad. Today the swelling was really bad and even his ankle has swollen. I wanted what is it? Also he is diabetic
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get X-rays of the affected wrist and ankle done.

2. A Bone Scan may also be done. MRI and PET Scans may be decided later.

3. These investigation swill help rule out any cellulitis, early neuroarthropathy, osteoporosis and fractures, especially if his blood sugar levels are high.

4. Are the swollen areas warm to touch? Are they tender on touch? Is he able to perform the full range of movements of the affected joints? Is his diabetes under control? Any recent blood tests?

5. Get Rheumatologist's opinion. He may require to reduce weight bearing on the affected ankle, use a cast and medical therapy depending upon the results of the above investigations.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor