Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Diabetic. Noticed swelling and bruise on knee, foot and toe. What cure should be done?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
My 88 year old Mom fell. She has diabetes. Bruised knee, leg, foot and toes also swollen. Now has turned black. Cannot hardly bring herself up off the bed. Would not go to hospital 3 days ago, but we are concerned and trying to get her to go to her primary tommorrow. Please help.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Since how long this pedal edema is persisting?
Does he has difficulty in breathing especially at lying down position?
Does he has weakness in any limb/ tingling sensation in limbs?

With the available described symptoms, appears to be possibility of diabetes induced complication.
Diabetes is a multi organ disease with involvement of almost all organs of body due to its complications.
Blood sugar both fasting and postprandial must be in controlled range.
Diabetes is due to progressive loss or destruction of beta cells in endocrinal part of pancreas.
Uncontrolled Diabetes predisposes to accelerated atherosclerosis in peripheral arteries.
Accelerated atherosclerosis may cause decrease blood supply.

Decreased blood supply with associated diabetic neuropathy may predispose to diabetc foot ulcer formation.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist & cardiothoracic vascular surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
She should also go for postprandial sugar and glycosylated hemoglobin, lipid profile.
Her blood sugar must be in controlled range.
She can get better relief after taking Cilastazol 100 mg BD and by applying hot fomentation.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor