Diabetic. Having pain and tingling sensation in arm. How to get relief?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Question: Hi there Doc!

My question is related to this sensation/pain that I am having in my left arm. The pain is mild usually however, as soon as I eat or have a meal the pain gets worse and I get this sensation/tingling running through my left arm like a wave. I have had heart burns with this but now I do not get them. I am diabetic and take diabex tablets.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Hello

Pain/ tingling sensation along left arm can be due to following causes:
1. As you have mentioned that you are suffering from diabetes mellitus, tingling sensation can be due to neuropathy. Long standing diabetes causes to damage the nerves.
It is imporatant to get fasting and post prandial blood glucose levels.
HbA 1c will further help in knowing the blood glucose control over past three months.

2. Association of pain/ tingling sensation with meals (in the background of history of heart burns) indicates a gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD). GERD causes pain and discomfort in chest, upper abdomen or upper limb. Infact any region above the umbilicus can be affected by gas.

3. Pain/ tingling sensation can occur due to compression of nerve bundles in the arm. Arm contains various nerve bundles. Compression of the nerves can cause these symptoms in that particular limb.

Consult your doctor for detailed discussion of the problem and get the appropriate investigations done.

Management can thereafter be planned.

Dr Shailja P Wahal