Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

159 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Diabetic. Having pain and tingling sensation in arm. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 7043 Questions
Hi there Doc!

My question is related to this sensation/pain that I am having in my left arm. The pain is mild usually however, as soon as I eat or have a meal the pain gets worse and I get this sensation/tingling running through my left arm like a wave. I have had heart burns with this but now I do not get them. I am diabetic and take diabex tablets.
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Thanks for your query.

Pain/ tingling sensation along left arm can be due to following causes:
1. As you have mentioned that you are suffering from diabetes mellitus, tingling sensation can be due to neuropathy. Long standing diabetes causes to damage the nerves.
It is imporatant to get fasting and post prandial blood glucose levels.
HbA 1c will further help in knowing the blood glucose control over past three months.

2. Association of pain/ tingling sensation with meals (in the background of history of heart burns) indicates a gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD). GERD causes pain and discomfort in chest, upper abdomen or upper limb. Infact any region above the umbilicus can be affected by gas.

3. Pain/ tingling sensation can occur due to compression of nerve bundles in the arm. Arm contains various nerve bundles. Compression of the nerves can cause these symptoms in that particular limb.

Consult your doctor for detailed discussion of the problem and get the appropriate investigations done.

Management can thereafter be planned.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist