Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Diabetic. Have small cracks on foreskin and burning sensation. Tried applying moisturising cream. Causing discomfort. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1555 Questions
Hi Doctor
I am 39 years old sexually active, mildly diabetic currently on extended release tablets(for the last six years). It is since two weeks i am having some problem with my foreskin,there are some small cracks around it which create some uneasyness with some burning sensation.More over my foreskin has become too sensitive and i cannot retract it for cleanig, if at all i try to retract that will make the cracks expand and some burning pain will occur when it comes in contact with water.i tried to appy some moisturising cream for 3 days which made no difference.Because of this i avoided any intercourse these days.when my penis gets erect the cracks will become wide open and thus causing me discomfort.Kindly advice me immediately.
regards XXXXXX
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 17 hours later

It seems that you have an infection of the penile skin. Most probably it is a fungal infection since the skin has some cracks. Since it can be some other infection too, I will recommend that you get urine analysis done as well. Also include urine culture and sensitivity. It will give us a better idea about the diagnosis.

Till you get the reports of the urine analysis, you can try a topical anti-fungal cream like miconazole or clotrimazole, two times a day. Also avoid wetting the skin in water. Wear loose under-clothes to let the skin breathe. To boost immunity, take hygienic and nutritious diet, clean drinking water and regular exercise. Take a multivitamin tablet like Zincovit.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diabetic. Have small cracks on foreskin and burning sensation. Tried applying moisturising cream. Causing discomfort. Remedy? 2 days later
Hi Doctor

As suggested by you I have done the lab tests and the results are uploaded herewith.Right now i am taking zincovit(one tab daily) and applying Miconozole Nitrate Cream as well(twice Daily). The condition has become some what manageable evethough there are some more cracks left.Should I consider circumcision as a long term remedy for this or i have to wait?.Please advice at the earliest.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Hi again,

I went through the urine reports and I am concerned about presence of sugar in urine. Usually sugar is excreted in urine when the blood sugar levels are above 180 mg/dl. I will recommend that you get fasting blood sugar levels done to rule out diabetes. Diabetes is one of the causes of fungal infection.

Circumcision may help in keeping the area dry and may help in controlling the yeast infection but I cannot assure that it can cure it.

At this point I will like to explain you a few things about yeast infections. Usually our skin and mucous membranes are covered with friendly bacteria, fungi and other germs. These live in harmony with each other and cause no problem. Problem arises when we disrupt this harmony by using some medicines like antibiotics or we have a weak immune system which leads to over-growth of one particular organism. Yeast is also considered a part of normal flora. It overgrows in some situations and then it does not go back to normal. Usually it can be controlled if the causative factor is taken care of. It can also be controlled with some lifestyle measures and topical anti-fungals.

It is important to rule out diabetes in your case.

Hope you understood what I told you. Let me know if you have doubts.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diabetic. Have small cracks on foreskin and burning sensation. Tried applying moisturising cream. Causing discomfort. Remedy? 25 hours later
Hi once again Doctor

I have done fasting blood sugar. It is 220 mg/dl now and i have consulted my endocrynologyst who adviced me to take Onglyza 1-0-0 and ursocol 1-0-1 for one month and review afterwards.For the time being how long should i use miconozole and zincovit.? or should i change to any other medication?.Please let me know.Right now there is a mild swelling and discolouration at the tip of my foreskin, Is that something to worry?.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 38 minutes later

Onglyza is used for diabetes but ursodol is prescribed for high cholesterol and is mainly used to dissolve cholesterol gall stones.

I think diet and exercise are best way to control blood sugars.

Once blood sugar is in control, the skin rash will subside. Nothing much to worry here.

Till then you may use miconazole only if rash is bad. Effect of miconazole cream lasts for 2-3 days, so you may use it every 2-3 days.

Zincovit may be taken for one month.

I will also recommend that you monitor your blood glucose at home with glucometer.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor