Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Diabetic. Got hit on knee. Developed swelling and haematoma. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
I am a 69-year old diabetic (medication-controlled). 10 days ago i knocked my left knee on a bus seat. A large haematoma with swelling developed within 2 hours. No loss of function or open wound. Some localised pain.

Over the last 10 days the swelling receded, but the discolouring remains and has now spread around the whole knee and about 10 inches up the thight, clearly delineated. With so much blood under my sking should I worry and seek medical attention?

Thank you for your advice. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I get a picture of normal progression of hematoma from the description provided by you. Only thing now you should be watchful of is that the hematoma does not get infected. Look for increasing pain, redness, warmth, restriction of moment, increasing swelling etc. If you do not have any fresh symptoms, you could freely move the limb, no fever, etc you need not worry. The color change produced by the hematoma will take some more time to disappear. Initially it will be purplish blue later becomes yellowish and finally becomes brownish and then disappears.

Do not worry if there are no fresh symptoms like the one I described. If a new symptom appears you may have to be examined by your doctor for investigations and treatment.

Hope this helps.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor