Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Diabetic. Feeling weak. Undergone full health check up. What are the findings in the report?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
My Father is not feeling very well since last few days. I had him undergo a full health checkup and I am attaching the results. He is diabetic patient and is 66 years of age. Can you please go through the reports and let me know his overall health?
His problem in particular is that he is feeling very weak. Usually he is very active but since a few days he is not able to sleep well, feels uneasy at night times - often and also is very weak during the day. He is sleeping often during the day citing weakness.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Is your father loosing his weight progressively?
Is he obese or have slim physique?

Let me know the the name of medication what he is taking presently.
I have gone through all the submitted reports and his blood sugar is found to be raised.
His complete blood count, PSA, chest x XXXXXXX and ECG reports are absolutely normal.

Diabetes is due to progressive loss or destruction of beta cells in endocrinal part of pancreas.
Diabetes is a multi organ disease with involvement of almost all organs of body due to its complications.
Blood sugar both fasting and postprandial must be in controlled range.
Eye check up showed presence of cataract and may be due to uncontrolled blood sugar.

Deficiency of insulin predisposes to inability to use available glucose and body start utilizing protein and fat.
Thats why body start loosing weight and wight reduces drastically.

Obese patient may have diabetes and because of throat altered anatomy, patient may suffer from excessive sleep due to Obstructive sleep apnea.

You should remain in touch with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for regular check up.
In my personal opinion, your father should also take Vildagliptin for control of sugar (if he is not taking).
Vildagliptin inhibits destruction of available insulin and insulin works for longer time.

Your father should also follow dietary advice as suggested by his treating doctor or dietitian.
He should also perform increased physical activity, once recovered from present condition.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor