Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Diabetic. Complaining of tooth pain. Given ibuprofen. Cheeks swollen. Can I give him clindamycin?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
My 11 year old son is a Type 1 Diabetic and seems to have an abscessd tooth. He began complaining of a toothache a couple of days ago. We gave him ibuprofen and that seemed to help. Last night we noticed that his lower cheek is swollen where the tooth is located. We called the emergency dentist line today and even texted him. No response. :/ I am calling them first thing in the morning. I have some leftover 300mg clindamycin from when I had a tooth infection. Should I give him some? I am concerned that the infection will spread or he may become septic since his immune system is compromised due to the diabetes.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 51 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The swollen lower cheek where the tooth is located is suggestive of an abscess development.

He needs a proper course of antibiotic in prescribed dose.

At the same time the pus should be drained under aseptic conditions.

Don't give him antibiotics without the prescription of the doctor.

For pain, you can give Ibuprofen in prescribed dose for the child after food.

I advise you to consult the Dental Surgeon physically for the examination and to advise the appropriate treatment plan for the child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor