Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Diabetic. Applied ointments for torn foreskin. Not cured. Advice some effective treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
Doctor ,My foreskin of the penis is torn in a circular form. I have been applying ointments prescribed by our family doctor But all my attempts are use less. I have been facing this problem since a year. I am a doiabetic patient. Could you please advice me some treatment axcept any surgery,
I will be very greatful you you doctor.

Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
The condition which you are suffering from is called balanitis. It is common in diabetic patients. I would advise the following treatment for you
1. Stop all the local medications which you are using at present.
2. Meticulous and rigid control of daibetes almost to within the normal range.
3. Clean the penis anfer retracting the foreskin with dettol soap solution. Mob the area dry.
4. Apply a thin film of clotrimazole ointment to the reddened or raw areas twice a day after washing it as described.Bring back the foreskin to normal position.
5. Short course of antibiotics Tab Norflox 400mgms (1 tab twice aday for 10 days)
6. If you are sexually actice use condoms. Clean and apply the same ointment as already advised.
There is no role of surgery during this acute phase at all.
I am sure you will be cured by this treatment.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diabetic. Applied ointments for torn foreskin. Not cured. Advice some effective treatment? 2 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for your immediate answer which has given me a great relief. Recently i have taken a course of antibiotic ALTACEF 500mg for acute cold which I have completed just yesterday. Doctor I would like to know whether it is advisable to start a course of antibiotic again as you prescribed . Kindly advise.

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Altacef would be too high an antibiotic for this condition. Again norflox attains maximum concentration in the urinary tract which gives good protection against urinary tract infections. So I would suggest that you stop the previous antibiotics and start with my regimen.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor