• question-icon

Diabetes, liver problem, jaundice, cancer in lungs. Diet during jaundice treatment?

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi!! My grandfather got diabetic 2, he is 73 years old, he got sugar on both blood and usrine, but undercontroll. But lately he got liver problem, doctor are asuming that cancer got spread in lungs. Now he is again sufferening from jaundice, I will really appreciate if u would give me a good diet for him to cure his jaundice.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather's condition. Cancer that has spread to the liver compromises liver functions and resulting in jaundice. In such cases dietary modifications have lesser role in managing his status.

Inview of other comorbidities such as diabetes, his carbohydrate intake also needs to be controlled carefully. The following measures would be helpful in this regarding:
1) Avoid oily and spicy food.
2) Avoid fatty foods like eggs, meat
3) Avoid smoking and alcohol
5) Low salt diet
6) Medications for better liver function which would be prescribed by your Gastroenterologist.
7) Maintain hygiene.

Discuss about these with his oncologist and gastroenterologist and follow up with them regularly.

I hope my answer is helpful. Should you have any further queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN