Diabetes 2; chronic heart patient. Have hypoxia. Suspected sepsis. Could it be pt's blood count is presently adequate?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: Medical History of 90 year-old male: diabetes 2; chronic heart failure; COPD; recent occurrence of pneumonia and pulmonary oedema; overlap myelodysplasticity/myeloproliferative disorder (3 years).

Current Status: hypoxia; delirium; suspected sepsis with a very poor prognosis.

Could you advise on whether pt's blood count is presently adequate? Has there been a transformation of his overlap myelodysplasticity/myeloproliferative disorder? Why? Please see attachment for pathology results.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query. I see no reports attached rigt now.

Please let me know when the reports have been uploaded and I will comment further.

Dr Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Dr XXXXXXX There seems to be a problem in trying to upload the reports. Is there a means by which I can email you using an attachment?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reviewed

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the updated attachments.

I think the main issue might be related to active infection. I am sure the doctors are using some broad-spectrum antibiotics in order to cover the infection. I am wondering where the source of the infection is. Is this a pneumonia, infections can significantly affect bone marrow function. It looks again like the hemoglobin is holding stable. The platelet count is mildly elevated although still within the normal range. It is very common that platelet counts can fluctuate in the setting of significant infection.

don't see any signs of progression of underlying bone marrow disorder. Again this is very difficult to comment on in the setting of a severe infection.

Thanks again for sending your question. Hopefully this will be a successful and informative experience for you.

Dr. Galamaga