Developed tightness in throat and shortness of breath after walking. How to get relief?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Lately when walking, a tightness develops in my throat area and I get shortness of breath . If I dont stop waking, a pain develops in my back and runs from back to chest area.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern here,
Your description of tightness and pain on exertion along with shortness of breath there is strong possibility of Angina.
Other possibilities are spine problems or lung pathology?
However I would like to know
1) How long you are getting this kind of pain and is this is relived by taking rest?
2) Do you have History of High BP or Diabetes?
3) Do you have Asthma or Cervical spine issue?
4) Do you take any regular medicine?
First step would be to do a resting EKG and depending on result, appropriate action may be taken.
Once I get required information, can answer in detail
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
1. two weeks, yes. Anxiety due to death of mother 6 months ago, long time pet just died, I have had 3 detached retina surgeries and another scheduled for XXXXXXX 13

2. blood pressure, 10mg of benicar, blood pressure is nornally 127/75 and pulse oximeter indicates 96-94%

3, Not diagnosed with asthma, father had asthma
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for your input,
Please get your 12 Lead EKG and as emotional stress could be a factor, if EKG shows something then treatment can be planned accordingly.
If it is absolutely normal, later on 2 D Echocardiography and a Treadmill test along with consultation with Cardiologist would be appropriate.
Benicar for your BP is great, and you readings are also fine, continue same medicine under the treating physician.
Please inform about progress.

Regards.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 8 hours later
You are welcome...

I hope the information is useful to you. Please close this discussion if there are no other queries.

Good Luck...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad