Developed sore throat and fever. Noticed red itchy sores on arm and feet. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I developed a sore throat and a fever on the last day of our family cruise. Upon returning home, the following day, I noticed I started getting red sores on my hands, followed the next day by the same condition on my feet. The sores on my hands are quite itchy, and this morning, I had a couple sores that were around the rims of my nostrils as well. I still have somewhat of a sore throat, but the fever seems to have gone mostly away, although at night it seems to return some as I've been sweating a lot while sleeping. Today is 4 days after the conditions started.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are describing can be erythema multiforme,FDE,pompholyx etc.

Also I would like to know-
Do you have pain/tenderness over the hands and soles?
Do you have any history of drug allergy?
Is this your first episode of its kind?
Are the lesions vesicular(fluid filled)?
Do you have any stress at this point of time?

Answer the questions to help you better.

Meanwhile you can take tab.Zyrtec twice daily for itching.
Apply cool soothing lotion like Aloe vera lotion over the area.

I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSud.
Dermatology.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 48 minutes later
Thanks for getting back. Yes, there is tenderness / soreness on my hands, soles of my feet, and in my nostril area. As of yet, they aren't filled with fluid, just sore red spots, almost all have not broken the skin.

I don't have any drug allergy that I'm aware of, and not taking any drugs. I'm not under any stress more than normal. Like I said, I was on vacation on a cruise when this seemed to start.

I had done some research online, is this possibly Hand, foot and mouth disease? I know my mouth doesn't have any sores, but seem to have similar symptoms.

Were you able to view the photograph?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 26 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for the details.
Hand foot mouth disease has predominantly oral lesions and Fever,Headache,Loss of appetite,Rash with very small blisters on hands, feet, and diaper area; may be tender or painful if pressed,Sore throat,Ulcers in the throat (including tonsils), mouth, and tongue.
More over it occurs in children less than 10 years.SO hand foot mouth disease does not fit in your case.

Most likely cause in your case is erythema multiforme.It can occur post viral infection,drug allergy or due to contact allergy.

A short course of oral steroids and oral antibiotic would be treatment of choice.It will decrease the pain, itching and further spread.

As such condition is self limiting.With taking antihistaminic like Zyrtec and analgesic like tablet ibuprofen you can expect it to clear in a week or so.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSud
MD dermatology.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 4 minutes later
Thank you. I'll look into starting that treatment. Is this something that I would have come into contact with on the cruise? Does it have a long incubation period, or does it rise up quickly after initial contact? Also, how contagious is it? I have 3 children at home and don't want to spread it, how do I best keep them from also catching it? Thanks again.
One last question. Since I'm not taking any drugs that I might have an allergy to, where would the cause of this infection begin? Also, the sores / rash only appear on the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet and are ONLY red in nature, with no White bullseye appearance.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 46 minutes later
Hi again,
As I said previously it occurs post viral infection.
It can occur as an after effect of viral infection i.e sore throat in your case.
It occurs quickly with viral infection.Can occur simultaneously with sore throat.

It is not contagious children have no added risk.
Sore throat can be contagious but not EM.
Bulls eye appearance is not seen in all cases.Few cases may have only lesions as seen in your case.Only erythema can also be present.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 18 minutes later
Thanks for your help. How long is the typical outbreak for this kind of infection, before it resolves itself?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 minutes later
Hi again,

The episode must resolve by 10 -14 days.Usually 1-2 weeks is the time taken to limit itself.

If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.

Regards.