Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Developed red ring on penis head and foreskin. What could be causing this?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9451 Questions
About 8 weeks ago, I developed a dark red ring at the edge, or helment of my penis. This red pattern appears to be directly on the foreskin that covers the area too, but not as dark a red. I went to a local clinic to be checked and the doctor presribed some kind of cream, which didn't seem to help at all. Also, shortly after I went to the doctor, I had an operation on my sholder for which they used an antibiotic of some sort and the redness went away. Last week, after having sex with my wife, it came back. Please help. I have not exchanged bodily fluids with anyone other than my wife, but have been massaged at my local massage palor, but nothing appeared until a couple of months afterwards. Finally, the doctor suggested that my weight (200lbs) could contribute to the problem because my penis retracts further than it ever has. I've even tried wrapping toilet paper around the head so when it retracts, it keeps the penis from sweating. I know I'm rambling, but I'm scared to death that I have contracted something from the message palor and could pass it on to my wife. :>((
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have redness of the glans and foreskin.
I shall be happy if you can provide me few more details so has to make me comments on your problem.

1) Are you Diabetic? If you have not checked your blood Sugar levels recently get it checked now to rule out the diabetes.
2) Are you able to retract your foreskin freely over the glans penis?

Your problem could be due to Phimosis or Mucocutaneous Genital Candidiasis. The final diagnosis can be confirmed only on clinical examination. Please consult qualified Urologist for examination. Depending on findings, he may advise you to take antibiotics and anti fungal drugs or to get circumcised.

Do not worry It is most unlikely that you have acquired STD from a massage in a parlour.

I shall be specific in my advice once I receive the answers to my questions above.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed red ring on penis head and foreskin. What could be causing this? 20 hours later

I am not diabetic and have no problem pulling back the foreskin. I am already circumcised.

Can I pass this Phimosis or Mucocutaneous Genital Candidiasis on to my wife...and how do people get this?

What should I tell the Doctor....moreover do I have to tell the doctor?

I just read that the "Mucocutaneous" you talked about is Herpes. Isn't this a sexually transmitted diease? How the heck did I get this?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Thanks for feedback. I agree my mistake in making a diagnosis of Phimosis as you had mentioned about redness of the foreskin in your query. However, you have no foreskin as you are already circumcised.
Assuming that you have redness of the glans of the penis (Head of the Penis) and the skin covering the shaft of the penis near the glans,it is most likely bacterial infection of the glans termed as Balanitis
This could be due to dry sexual intercourse or even with contact with your inner wares.

This can be cured by taking broad spectrum antibiotic for a week along with topical local antibiotic cream .Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

It is definitely not transmitted through the massage in parlor and there is no danger of it getting transmitted to your wife.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed red ring on penis head and foreskin. What could be causing this? 20 hours later

Thanks for the replay, but I still have a couple of concerns. I am circumcised, yes, but I have gained weight (25lbs) in the last couple of years and my penis retracts way, way up inside of me. It actually appears like I have not been circumcised....there's a heck of a lot of skin covering my penis. The doctor I saw at the clinic said that often times the excess weight could cause the penis to retract as is does because of where I've gained the weight (in the belly). Is this possible? Also, are you discribing the "inner wares" as the foreskin? I would appreciate you opinion on how to prevent this from reoccuring.

Finally, I took a epsomsalts bath yesterday and the redness really calmed down. Does this make any sence?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

The retraction of the penis is due to excessive deposition of fat in pubic area and surrounding the base of the penis.This is very common in obese individuals.

By inner wares I mean to say your inner pants (Cloth) which often gets soaked with sweat in obese person.

The effects of epsom salt bath can be temporary, need not rely on the same.

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed red ring on penis head and foreskin. What could be causing this? 14 hours later

When I went to the clinic, they gave me a steriod cream for the problem, but it doesn't seems to do anything but give me dry skin. If I continue using this will the problem go away, or do I need the antibiotic cream?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

You will need topical antibiotic cream for local application.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr .Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed red ring on penis head and foreskin. What could be causing this? 3 hours later

I have a bunch of "Doxycycline" 100MG CAP, left over from a previous skin irriation problem I had on my face. Can I use this for the Balanitis? If so, do I also need the topical antibiotic?
Correction. I have "Doxycycline Hyclate" 100MG CAP.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later

Yes, you can use medication you have with you. Topical antibiotic helps in healing and have soothing effect as well.

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor