Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Developed painful swelling on chin. What cure should be done?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
I am 27 year old female. I have developed a swelling on my chin and its quite painful. I usually get pimples in my chin, but my swelling has increased in just one day and its concerning.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 minutes later
Hi there.
I read your problem with interest & empathise with you. From your description & sudden increase of the lesion in question, it does appear we are dealing with a furuncle that has turned into an abscess. It is very likely that contiguous follicles have ruptured leading to an abscess formation. Please do go across to your chemist or GP & ask for some glycerine magneium sulfate dressings that can be applied on the region to help in its rupture. Concomittantly an antibiotic & anti-inflammatory agent eg metronidazole & ibuprofen both 400mg doses given three times daily each with meals may help you immensely. However, the latter will call for a prescription & it is best you get this from your local GP or hospital ER whichever is nearest. Cheers & wish you a quick recovery & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor