Developed painful sores on labia and between buttocks. What could it be?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have developed small sores on my labia and between my buttocks. They are extremely sore and urinating is painful. I have no other symptoms and these popped up Monday. Sitting is becoming difficult. I have been using Neosporin because I was trying to avoid infection. I also used Monistat thinking it may be a yeast issue. My hubby has no sores on him and we haven't been sexually active since last week. The pain is unbearable. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
The multiple small painful sores on the labia and between the buttocks can be due to an STD like herpes.
It can also be due to a superficial skin infection like staphylococcus.
It requires a direct examination by a gynecologist followed by systemic antibiotics or anti viral therapy according to the type of infection. Till then avoid handling the area with bare fingers to avoid any spread of infection. You can continue using Neosporin. Monistat is not likely to help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.