Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Developed painful raised bumps on vaginal and rectal area. How to treat this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I am a 49-year old woman. Two days ago I developed a rash in my vaginal and rectal areas. It has raised bumps and is painful. I have had yeast infections before, but this isn't the odor or discharge. I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor's office, but need an answer before I leave for a trip on Monday. I don't know how to treat both areas. Thanks so much.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 minutes later
Rashes in the genital and rectal area can occur due to 3 reasons- STD, skin infections or contact dermatitis. Raised painful bumps indicate infection. Now there can be several types of infection.You should be tested for syphilis, Psoriasis,genital warts, herpes,papillomavirus, condyloma etc. A complete panel of tests for std should be done first. You will also need topical antibiotics and steroids creams oif its an infection. In case any particular std comes back positive then you may need oral antibiotics also.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed painful raised bumps on vaginal and rectal area. How to treat this? 34 minutes later
Since I am monogamous and have been married for 26 years, I don't think it is an STD. Could it be the wet wipes I started using recently? If so, how would I treat both areas other than simply discontinuing the wipes?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 16 minutes later
Yes,the wipes may quite possibly be the reason. This would be the cause of the contact dermatitis. Stop using them immediately. Its also possible that the rashes may become infected hence,the pain. Can you please describe the rashes in detail. Any blisters,discharge from the bumps? Herpes can also spread through used towels etc. So try to remember if you have used anything like that. Im trying to determine what the cause of the rash is,because if it was dermatitis,your doctor would have already treated you. Have any swabs been taken?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed painful raised bumps on vaginal and rectal area. How to treat this? 3 minutes later
The rash is red discharge or fluid. I am still waiting to hear back from my doctors office...have left two messages. I have only used my own personal towels at home.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 37 minutes later
Without discharge,blisters herpes is unlikely. So treating this as dermatitis, the most important thing is to maintain good hygiene. Keep the area clean. You can use a topical corticosteroid cream if there is no infection. Best thing is to keep the area clean.You can also apply aloe vera/lactocalamine for soothing effect provided its not infection. Wash with plenty of water.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor