Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Developed pain on knee. Heard crack sound while sitting. How to get relief?

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 11258 Questions

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I am a runner and I have recently developed a pain on the outside of my right knee. The upper portion near the top of my knee cap but to the right of it. It hurts when I bend my knee and makes a slight crack or pop when I sit down and bend my knee in and out. I thought it may be an IT band issue but it seems different. Could you please help me? Should I be doing hip strengthening exercises?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
If you can feel a slight pop or crack in the area on bending then an injury of the XXXXXXX structures of the knee is likely.
You can help the improvement by-
1. Avoid any strenuous knee exercises, lifting weights, climbing stairs, cycling, etc.
2. Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen every 8 hourly.
3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily.
4. You can apply a local analgesic gel like Volini also.
5. Use an elastic knee brace for better knee support while walking.
Do consult an Orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines in case there is swelling, persistent pain and difficulty in walking.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Orthotics

doctor1 MD

Im 15 and I have pain in my knee. I was playing soccer a week ago and my knee cap slided or something but it is in its right place right now but i cant straighten it fully, i walk with my knee bend and its weak a bit no doctors know whats wrong with it any one have any ideas what it can be? i have a brace but it bends my knee and it really hurts when i straighten it fully someone help!

doctor1 MD

I had spinal meningitis-bacterial I think in the Navy. 50 yrs later, I have osteoarthritis. Va several yrs ago said that I had discentagrating spine. I have pain all the time and all they give me is rub and Tylenol. Do I need to wear a brace to keep me from bending forward like my aunt does in her wheelchair. Im now in electric wheelchair. When I walk, it s getting too painful.

doctor1 MD

I've been walking daily for exercise and have developed pain in the bottom of my right foot. It seems to be in the arch and outer portions of the foot including the toes.

doctor1 MD

I believe I have a ruptured Achilles’ tendon. I’m on Medicare and want to avoid $$ going to both a podiatrist and an orthopedic doctor. Which specialist would I select for treatment? Pain is quite severe and has been getting worse for last month ....

doctor1 MD

my left leg below th knee is swollen and very painful. I have on a cast to prevent my ankle from cracking the bone. the ankle and foot is swollen and iam diabetic. I can not understand were the swelling can go if I have this cast on. I have been told that I would have to keep this cast on because I have slow blood flow to the bone in my ankle. after three months I will have to wear the Arizona brace for the rest of my there any other treatment possible.

doctor1 MD

For the past few months the bottom of my left heel hurts and difficult to walk on. Mainly hurts after I work out or if I am on it a lot during a day.

doctor1 MD

Hi. Am 42 years old. Six years ago I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis. Lately I have experienced worsening breathing difficulties and notice a small hump in my upper spine just where my neck starts. I also feel a lump in my throat. I also notice my chest points left of center when standing.I was told by my spine doc six years ago that adult mild scoliosis doesn t worsen. He also did not give me a brace for my back, or a lift for my shoe or check me for vitamin d deficiency which I recently found I am deficient in.Is it possible for my scoliosis to worsen? What can I do to slow it down or stop it? I am very active with sports and exercise. Is it true that post surgery for scoliosis means no more sports? Thank you