Developed pain on knee. Heard crack sound while sitting. How to get relief?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I am a runner and I have recently developed a pain on the outside of my right knee. The upper portion near the top of my knee cap but to the right of it. It hurts when I bend my knee and makes a slight crack or pop when I sit down and bend my knee in and out. I thought it may be an IT band issue but it seems different. Could you please help me? Should I be doing hip strengthening exercises?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
If you can feel a slight pop or crack in the area on bending then an injury of the XXXXXXX structures of the knee is likely.
You can help the improvement by-
1. Avoid any strenuous knee exercises, lifting weights, climbing stairs, cycling, etc.
2. Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen every 8 hourly.
3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily.
4. You can apply a local analgesic gel like Volini also.
5. Use an elastic knee brace for better knee support while walking.
Do consult an Orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines in case there is swelling, persistent pain and difficulty in walking.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.