Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Developed large and hard belly. Started diarrhoea, burning with bowel movements. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
My husband has an extremely large and hard belly. It has grown an enormous amount in the past year. He is an out of control diabetic as well - for the last 20 years. He wears an insulin pump when he feels like it. He has had diarrhea and severe acid like burning with his bowel movements for a few months. Sometimes the movements are just soft but they are also pink in color. He complains most about the burning, What could be wrong with him? He says he hasn't gone to the doctor because he doesn't want surgery. He is in the bathroom all the time and also has accidents. The smell is horrible.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Your husband is an index case to be deteriorated very fast.
He is just managing to move around, going to toilet many times but I think he is too sick to neglect the issues anymore. No one on earth wants surgery on oneself and I do not think that should be an attitude at all.
Your husband seems to have serious medical issues at the moment, he is having enormous belly, uncontrolled diabetes, red stool, foul smelling multiple motions, forgive me for telling you but such patients do not give time and collapse suddenly.
His diabetes needs to be controlled with regular insulin under monitoring.
He might be bleeding from gut ulcers/vessels, he needs endoscopy and treat the lesions there(that is done without surgery).Diarrhea may be due to gut bleed or may be he is harbouring an infection in the gut that is causing diarrhea and the red stools and in that case he would recover with just some antibiotics.
I would suggest, take your husband to nearest gastroenterologist consultation, and I am sure his problems would get resolved without surgery.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor