Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Developed itchy rashes on hand, started spreading. What is the disease called?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 345 Questions
I have an itch which was in my hands at first then it spread to the rest of my body. When I scratch I develop a rash. I've used amost all of the anti-itch creams and allergy medications.Can you tell me what could possibly be the problem? I have not used any new products or eaten anything new.
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later

You seem to be having urticaria.

Its also called hives. In this condition when you scratch, there is a rash. This is called dermatographism.

Its a condition where there are red raised lesions all over the body with lot of itching.

These lesions are of various sizes and shapes and they come and go on their own.

They need prompt treatment.

Urticaria may be idiopathic or may have a variety of causative factors, there is an exhaustive list available but to tell you the truth its really difficult to pin point one thing.

The best thing to do is to start prompt treatment for immediate relief.

since this is an allergy, taking anti allergy tablets is the mode of treatment. Its usually advisable to take a combination to suppress the process. Also since it can be caused due to various reasons its advisable to find a cause and eliminate it. It can be due to food, medications, pollen, house dust etc.

The treatmenr would be tablet fexofenadine 180 mg once in the morning and tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once daily at night for 3 months. You may require a prescription for this.

Its necessary to take medications for atleast 3 months to suppress

Its necessary to take medications for atleast 3 months to suppress the process.

You can apply calamine lotion on the rash twice a day, it will help to soothe it.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor