Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Developed itching on genitals. What to get cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
I am 44 years old female and recently developed itching on my genitals . The itching though is very embarrassing but is also pleasure some. I am not sexually active for some time except two weeks back. This time the period was also not proper , the discharge was somewhat discolored. Please let me know the cause of my ailment.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 17 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The reason behind your itching can be either a genital infection or a perimenopausal genital dryness.

Genital infections can result even if you are not sexually active, For example the yeast infection. It presents with thick curdy white discharge, itching and redness. It occurs due improper hygiene or in the time near menses. Also constant wetness and damp area promotes fungal growth (yeast infection). Diabetics have more of these infections.

So to rule out genital infections you have to visit your gynecologist for an XXXXXXX examination and appropriate treatment.

Perimenopausal dryness occur to lack of hormones as you approach menopause. This can occur years before actual menopause(stopping of periods completely) is attained. Due to lack of estrogen hormone, the genital tissues become dry and there is itching.
Other symptoms of perimenopausal period can be hot flushes, mood changes, irritability and irregular periods with lighter flow.
As you said you period was not proper this time, it further explains the same.

However a definite diagnosis can be made only after a complete physical and XXXXXXX examination along with required tests.
So kindly visit a gynecologist for the same.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor