Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Developed hip pain. Intense and irritating. Suggest stretching exercises and medicines?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions

I have developed some hip pain on my right hip. It is mostly in the center of the right buttock. It is not intense but irritating and mostly remains throughout the day(most of day).

I am not sure if that matters but six months back we bought a very soft mattress(8 inch) for our bed.

Can you suggest if I should take some medicine or go with some stretching exercise before I show to some doctor?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can do stretching exercises to relieve spasm.

Detailed Answer:

The pains that you have described are likely to be due to a muscular pain most likely caused by a wrong body posture.

If some one with similar history presents to my clinic, I would recommend the following:
1. Regular stretching exercises to relieve the spasm.
2. Prefer hard bed and do not use very soft mattress
3. Regular hot fomentation over the affected hips
4. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel like relaxyl 2-3 times a day.
5. Anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen one tablet as and when required to reduce pain .

If the pain persists for more than a week, I would order for X-rays for closer evaluation.

Hope this helps you. I would be glad to help if needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor