Developed hard lump under ear behind jaw. Will it be safe to take antibiotic?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: i developed a lump in front of the lower left ear where the jaw has the joint ,in the last three weeks where it is pretty visible when i look in the mirror ,its hard to the touch,little tender if i press on it ,it moves around a bit ,and it seems to grow a bit daily ,i have a little pain when i open the jaw all the way because the inflammation,also the lymph nodes under are swollen also ,would it be safe to only take antibiotics at this stage ? thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptom can appear due to viral parotid gland inflammation (mumps), bacterial inflammation of parotid gland, tooth inflammation, ear inflammation.
If you havent had mumps in a childhood, it should be always considered. In some cases it gives no symptoms, in others can give fever, headaches and general weakness. The symptoms last about 2 weeks however it can be longer. If it is mumps, antibiotics wont help as this is viral infection.
Other infections should be treated with antibiotics indeed. The best one for this location is Clindamycin 300 mg 3x1 for 5 days. If this wont help, you should see a doctor and have tooths checked, ear checked and performed ultrasound of this area.
One more thing. Mumps can also give testicles inflammation, therefore if any testicle pains will appear, you should see a doctor right away.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.