Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Developed growth on neck. Feeling burning and itching. What could this e? Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
My sister complained of developing a growth on the left side of her neck and the growth comes and goes with itching and burning sensation all over her body..this has been for couple of months now. Please what could this be and what can she do? Thank you
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 13 minutes later
As an endocrinologist and thyroid specialist, I focus on thyroid growths in the neck.

I recommend you request your doctor for an Ultrasound of your neck to assess the nature of the growth. It is important to know the source of the 'growth'. If it is from the thyroid then there are several ways to approach it. However statistically 95 % of thyroid lumps in the neck are benign (not cancer).
If it is a lymph node, then your primary care doctor may wish to consider ordering a CT scan to further analyze the lymph node enlargement. Sometimes ENT surgeons are involved and the lymph nodes may need to be biopsied.

This weblink has more information on thyroid nodules :

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed growth on neck. Feeling burning and itching. What could this e? Remedy? 6 minutes later
So she could be suffering from thyroid and not infection? She is back in Africa,what other tests or medication can she take because I dont think there is a place she can do the tests you recommended,but will ask her if she can. She said the growth comes particularly when she finished eating,itched and gave gave her burning sentation all over her body and after sometimes disappeared. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
This description is quite unusual. I strongly recommend a personal physical exam by a local doctor there.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor