Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Developed grooves in skull. Is this normal? What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Hi. I am 58 years of age. I have developed XXXXXXX grooves in my skull under my scalp. This is in the last 6-9 months. They run across the top of my skull, back to front.
Aproximately 10centimetres long, and quite XXXXXXX
Is this a normal thing?? Please explain.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
if the grooves are of acute onset, meaning you had never noticed them before, it would be interesting for investigations to be made to know if there are associated skull lesions. But generally, grooves in males are usually without any other symptoms, and have no negative effects to one s health. Knowing whether there is any history of trauma or not is important.
However, grooves in the head can be seen to run in certain families, There are families where especially males start developing grooves in the head, but this usually begins earlier on in life by their late 30s, Its really exceptional for them to begin as late as the 50. Its worth actually if its only during the duration of time you precised, it might have been evolving for a longer period of time unnoticed.
Grooves are usually asymptomatic, normal and have no adverse effects to ones health.
If you start noticing headaches or other abnormalities, you might consult a neurologists. But as a rule, they have no impact on one s health.
Thanks and hope this helps,
best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor